EaPConnect upgrades Belarus GÉANT link to 10 Gbps
To meet increasing demand for network capacity by the research and education community in Belarus, the Eastern Partnership Connect (EaPConnect) project has upgraded the link between the BASNET network and the pan-European GÉANT backbone network from 5 to 10 Gigabits per second (Gbps).
The new Belarus link went live in August 2017, providing around 100 Belarusian research and education (R&E) institutes, libraries and universities with improved network connectivity, access to online resources, and opportunities for international collaboration.
“Following a first connectivity upgrade in August 2016, which increased the BASNET network capacity from 1 to 5 Gbps, we saw that usage doubled up to May 2017. So, clearly we needed more bandwidth. Now that we have doubled the connectivity again, from 5 to 10 Gbps, we hope to see that our users consume the extra bandwidth to support their work in research and education.” Sergei Kozlov, Head of Network Administration Sector at BASNET, UIIP NASB
The EU-funded EaPConnect project – led by GÉANT – is interconnecting the national R&E networks (NRENs) in Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Georgia, Moldova and Ukraine and integrating them with the GÉANT network in order to decrease the digital divide and facilitate the participation of local scientists, students and academics in global R&E collaborations.
“GÉANT is pleased to contribute to increasing the opportunities for Belarusian researchers and educators to collaborate internationally across all kinds of fields. This is an opportunity to develop their own talents, skills, contacts and knowledge, but it’s also a chance for the EaP region to strengthen its bonds, and for Europe and the rest of the world to benefit from the expertise that Belarus and the region can contribute.” Erik Huizer, CEO GÉANT.
The newly upgraded link between Minsk in Belarus and Poznan in Poland is the second 10 Gbps link to the EaP region through the EaPConnect project, after Ukraine was provided with a high-capacity link earlier this year. All partner countries are now connected and the project will continue with network upgrades and with its knowledge-sharing activities.
The European Commission’s Directorate-General for Neighbourhood and Enlargements Negotiations (DG NEAR) is contributing 95% (€13m) towards the cost of the EaPConnect project, providing funding under Grant Agreement 2015-356353; the remaining 5% is being co-funded by the six beneficiary countries.
About BASNET, UIIP NASB:
United Institute of Informatics Problems National Academy of Sciences of Belarus
The United Institute of Informatics Problems (UIIP) is the leading organisation in Belarus in fundamental and applied research on information technologies: CAD/CAM/CAE systems, applied mathematics, high-performance parallel computing, bioinformatics and medical informatics, geoinformation systems, digital cartogragraphic systems, space informatics, and GRID-technologies. The Institute is the provider of scientific and educational internet networks in Belarus. It takes part in state recommendations on information technologies implementation, scientific support of informatisation processes, prognosis in related science and technology fields in Belarus, high skill specialists training. UIIP NASB is a beneficiary partner of the EU-funded EaPConnect project.
GÉANT is Europe’s leading collaboration on network and related e-infrastructure and services for the benefit of research and education, contributing to Europe’s economic growth and competitiveness. The organisation develops, delivers and promotes advanced network and associated e-infrastructure services, and supports innovation and knowledge-sharing amongst its members, partners and the wider research and education networking community.
About DG NEAR:
The mission of the Directorate-General for Neighbourhood and Enlargement Negotiations (DG NEAR) is to take forward the European Union’s neighbourhood and enlargement policies, as well as to coordinate relations with European Economic Area – European Free Trade Association (EEA-EFTA) countries insofar as Commission policies are concerned. By implementing assistance actions in Europe’s eastern and southern neighbourhood, DG NEAR supports reform and democratic consolidation, and strengthens the prosperity, stability and security around Europe.